Ephesians 3:20-21 "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be the glory. . ."

Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Valentine's Day {part 1: Grade 1}

This Valentines (or should I say "Balentimes" as my kids kept saying) post is all about celebrating in my classroom. I'll talk about my "husband Valentine's Day" in the next blog post.

Valentines Day at school is on a similar level as Christmas when it comes to passing out and receiving Valentine cards and candy! My kids went absolutely NUTS because they were so excited about everything. It took all of my energy to keep their sugar high, as LOW as possible! 

In this culture, I've noticed the desire that moms have to out-do each other. Not that you don't see that in America, but things get so much more extravagant here! I felt bad because I had to say no to many parents asking if they could bring in treats. Candy is one thing, but can you imagine half of the class brining in cupcakes that look like this?!


It was delicious, but the kids [and myslelf!] can only take so much. 
Other treats/favors included:
- individual cotton candy
- chocolate dessert pizza
- heart balloons
- doughnuts
- cookies



Even more than eating all the candy, the kid's favorite part was definitely passing out and then reading all their valentines. I think we can all remember when we were that age. Oh the pressures!  Picking just the right ones to hand out. . . then making sure you gave your best friends your favorite/cutest ones, the annoying boys the "not so cute" ones, and then with all the other boys you had to make sure you didn't give them any that "hinted" at anything. . . come on, I know you can all relate! Haha. The good old days!





Oh, and all the kids and I had a great excuse not to wear uniforms. Our class was a sea of pink and red! 
Overall, a fun day in grade 1. . . however today (15th) was a tough one. I'm pretty sure the kids were still amped from yesterday and still had sugar frolicking in their blood stream. I'm praying for a more peaceful and attentive classroom tomorrow!









1 comment:

  1. I love this! Takes me back to elementary school.. picking out Valentines really was a serious issue! And I definitely thought all of those things: give the ugly ones to the annoying boys and then make sure you didn't hint you like another boy... hahaha too good!

    ReplyDelete