Ephesians 3:20-21 "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be the glory. . ."

Pages

Saturday, February 25, 2012

it's the little things~ talking about heaven

Look at this little cutie! 



At the beginning of the year, I thought Seunggi was going to drive me up a wall [he still has his days] but I've grown to just love this little guy. He is so genuinely sweet and innocent [some of the older boys are starting to outgrow that sweet little kid stage and are more into trouble-making]. I want to share a short conversation I had with him earlier this week. It was one of those reaffirming teacher moments, when I was reminded how lucky I am to teach more than just academic subjects. What a blessing and opportunity.

Let me preface the conversation. 
I have been teaching about fairy tales for the past two weeks. Last week we were looking for the elements of a fairy tale in Cinderella. After talking about the "Bad Charaters" in Cinderalla, I felt like I needed to follow it up with a short discussion about how not all stepmothers are evil. It seems obvious, but not necessarily to a 6 year old's mind. Some of them have stepmoms so I wanted to cover all my bases. I figured I could relate to them best by telling them that I had a step mom, and about how nice she is {love ya Karen!}. This conversation led to them asking why I had a step mom. It felt like a teachable moment, so I went ahead and briefly shared with them about my mom, and how she passed away when I was younger.

Fast forward to this week [I think it was Monday].
Seunggi came up to my desk during a quiet work time as I was trying to get some papers graded. He looked pretty thoughtful, and then asked me a question which had nothing to do with the assignment. He asked me what my mom's name was. I asked him if he was talking about my step-mom or real mom, and he shyly replied, "the one that died", as his eyes dropped and he looked sad and sorry that he was asking. I told him my mom's name was Lynn. Then he asked me how she died. I didn't really go into detail the week before, so I told him that she had cancer. Then he asked what that was, why it makes you sick, etc. As you read this, I don't want you to think that he was asking in a nosey or silly way. He was very sincere and thoughtful with his questions. I could tell he had a lot on his mind. As I tried to answer his tough questions in the most 6 year-old friendly way, he hit me with a harder one:
"Why did God make that happen to your mom, Mrs. Katie?"
I just melted with that question. His simple questions were leading to something bigger. I prayed that I could explain it right to him. Whatever I said, I didn't want him to come away from that conversation thinking that God made people sick, or that he didn't care. I explained to him that God didn't make my mom sick, and that He doesn't like to see people sick either. But what God does make possible, is for me to see her again in heaven. I told him that she told me about Jesus, and since we both believe that he died to save us, that I'll get to see her again in heaven someday. He smiled, lifted his little head up and said,
"So, if Jaymin's [his best friend in our class] grandma dies, then he will get to see her again too?" "Yes" I told him, "as long as she believes that Jesus saved her too".  He let a breath out, and his shoulders dropped as he smiled softly. "Thank you Mrs. Katie" he said, and then walked back to his desk.

What a sweet little guy he is. I had no idea he was headed that direction after his first question. He could  have asked about Jaymin's grandma right away and still gotten the same answer from me. But I was really touched by the way he so thoughtfully asked his questions.
He wanted to understand, not just get an answer.
I'm thankful that God led me to share about my mom last week too. I debated in my head whether to even discuss step-moms outside of fairy tales and Cinderella, but God knew where it would lead, even if Seunggi's the only kid in the class who even remembers I have a step-mom. 


Other "little things" from this week:


- When my grade 3/4 team of basketball boys actually make their lay-ins [it's a rare occasion]

- Chris and I dominated at futsal after 3 weeks off
[we combined for 12+ goals! And Chris had most of them!]

- Then, last night we owned the basketball court together. Not trying to brag, but we were quite the dynamic duo! I LOVE playing sports with my hubby.

- Thursday coffee/cream soda date with Chris

- Eating a good salad every day this week

- Friday field trip with my class:

 Getting ready to start the day!
 Feeding the geese
 I LOVE that they got to fish. This is a once in a lifetime experience for some of these kids.
Seunggi and Minki {living up to his "asian" stereotypes}
 Proud mom in the back! So glad they caught some -- even if they were less than 5 inches.
Chaney and I
{She'sa other grade 1 teacher who graduated from Corban a year ahead of me. She's helped me SO much this year and been a big blessing}


Linking up with Hello Hue again to share blessings from the week!
Take time to notice all the little things!

5 comments:

  1. Katie,
    God has placed you where He wants you at this time. What an awesome feeling as a teacher to be able to share and let the students understand more about you. Thank you for letting God lead you during that unit and letting Him guide especially in that conversation with your little one. Your testimony continues to shine and God has and will continue to do amazing things in your classroom and where you and Chris are living! =) Have a great weekend and thank you for sharing this story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story :) I'm wiping away tears right now :) Thank you so much for sharing this truly made my week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are your mother's daughter!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Lynette :) To me, there aren't many greater compliments.

      Delete
  3. This is a wonderful story. I've been thinking about you and your family lately since one of Sydney's friend's dad passed away recently after fighting cancer for 2+ years. Glad you could give that little guy some peace.

    ReplyDelete