Ephesians 3:20-21 "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be the glory. . ."

Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

English Muffin Bread

I've really been missing English muffins! Without self control, I could eat an entire bag myself in a day. Maybe it's good I can't find them here. BUT I found this easy recipe for English muffin bread on Sunday morning, and knew I'd have to make it that afternoon :) 
It has supplied us with two great breakfasts, and egg/bacon/cheese mcmuffins [for dinner] -- watch out McDonalds! ;)


I think toasted with strawberry jam is my favorite. Except that we don't have a toaster. . . I'm not complaining though - we have an oven! I do miss having the convenience of a toaster though.


This recipe only has four ingredients, and no kneading! Pretty simple recipe. EXCPET for the fact that the original recipe makes 4 loaves, and I only have 1 loaf pan. So I had to do the math and divide the recipe by 4. . . that's way harder than 1st grade math! 
It turned out great though. Maybe I should have been a math major? (JOKE)




Here's the original recipe from "One Good Thing"

5 1/2 cups warm water
3 packages yeast
2 Tablespoons salt
3 Tablespoons sugar
11 cups flour (I used all-purpose and it worked fine)

Mix altogether, let rise in bowl until double in bulk, then spoon into 4 well greased loaf pans.  Let rise in pans until dough reaches the top of the pan, and bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until golden brown. (My oven runs a little hot so I ended up cooking mine for a total of 35 minutes. Just keep an eye on it. You're looking for golden brown.)10 minutes before done, brush with melted butter. Makes 4 loaves. Bread will be moist at first. Allow to COOL COMPLETELY (hardest part!) before cutting. Makes terrific toast.

If you're like me and only have 1 loaf pan, or just don't want 4 loaves, then here's what I used for 1 loaf:

1 1/3 c warm water
1 3/4 t of yeast
1 1/2 t of salt
2 1/4 t of sugar
2 3/4 cups flour

I didn't do the math on this, but making 4 loaves of this is probably way cheaper than buying that many bags at the store! Try it out! :)





1 comment: