Ephesians 3:20-21 "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be the glory. . ."

Pages

Friday, December 2, 2011

"Casserole Seduction"


Yay for getting an oven!
Although I've only used it several times (due to business), I already know how much I will continue to appreciate it. Chris and I have enjoyed toast for breakfast several days in a row now, and feasted on this beast below for three days :] 
I love dishes like that.
Extra meals = less work when I get home from work

Chicken and Rice Bake Casserole

 This was pretty easy and didn't take all that long to make [but more than the 15 minutes that the recipe heading said. . .they always lie. . .or maybe it's just my lack of skills]


It only had to bake for 25 minutes though, so we didn't have to eat a late dinner. Add some sour cream, salsa, and tortilla chips, and you've got a yummy dinner!


I've been reading [when I find the time] the second book in the Mitford Series,  A Light in the Window, and every time I hear the word 'casserole' I think of Edith Mallory trying to woo Father Tim with her casseroles. If you don't have time I understand, but here's a snippet.
It's what I think of every time I hear the word casserole, haha.

"Casseroles! Their seduction had long been used on men of the cloth, often with rewarding results for the cook. 

Casseroles, after all, were a gesture that on the surface could not be mistaken for anything other than righteous goodwill. And, once one had consumed and exclaimed over the initial offering, along would come another on its very heels, until the bachelor curate ended up a married curate or the divorced deacon a fellow so skillfully ensnared that he never knew what hit him. 

In the language of food, there were casseroles, and there were casseroles. Most were used to comfort the sick or inspire the downhearted. But certain others, in his long experience, were so filled with allure and innuendo that they ceased to be Broccoli Cheese Delight intended for the stomach and became arrows aimed straight for the heart. 

In any case, there was always the problem of what to do with the dish. Decent people returned it full of something else. Which meant that the person to whom you returned it would be required, at some point, to give you another food item, all of which produced a cycle that was unimaginably tedious. 

Clergy, of course, were never required to fill the dish before returning it, but either way, it had to be returned. And there, clearly, was the rub. . .



Where casseroles were concerned, one must constantly be on guard."


Luckily, I don't have to use casseroles for finding a husband. Mine will be used for seduction of the stomach only.


My next oven endeavor will definitely be a dessert. 
I would be breaking my own katie-code if it was not.



P.S. Dear crock pot, I still love you and will not forget how you fed us for four months. 
I promise I won't let you get dusty :]



P.P.S. Christmas break is only two weeks away. So thankful.


No comments:

Post a Comment