Ephesians 3:20-21 "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be the glory. . ."

Pages

Friday, December 9, 2011

New Healthy Options

I've realized that it's really easy to eat unhealthy here. 
Food for lunch at school is cheap, but it's most likely fried (chicken, rice, noodles, etc). 
It's great for Chris because they pile it up high and he can get his fill of carbs and meat. I on the other hand can't really afford to eat like that everyday  [especially since I'm not playing soccer five days a week like I did for the past eight years of my life].  So while I definitely enjoy all those foods that aren't the most healthy [and LOVE dessert], I'm trying to find some new healthier options that I can at least make for dinner or lunch on the weekends. I've made these three things within the last week. . .

Veggie Fritters
Made these tonight! They are awesome for using up whatever you have in your fridge. I used zucchini, potato, onion, and carrot. You grate the veggies, and then mix them in a bowl with an egg, bread crumbs, garlic, a little shredded cheese, and any spices you want. I even added a little lemon zest. They were yummy, and Chris even ate a whole HALF of one. This is PROGRESS! He said he'd even eat a couple if there was a good dipping sauce. . .guess that's next on the list! I'd seen this all over pinterest and wanted to try them. I ended up using this recipe from my friend's blog. Give 'em a try! 
[not my picture]


Zucchini Boats
Okay, more zucchini! This was the first summer I haven't been home to help my dad eat all the zucchini from our garden. I've eaten it quite a bit since I thought about missing it. Maybe it's a little nostalgic, but I really do love the stuff! The boats were pretty easy, and doable now that we have an oven. I just hollowed out the middle of them a bit and brushed them with a mixture of olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Then I put slices of tomato in the grooves and sprinkled with bread crumbs. I know this has a lot of simliar ingredients as the previous recipe, but it comes out with a different taste and texture. I broiled it at 350 for about 30 minutes and then added a little bit of shredded cheese to melt on top. Mozzarella cheese from Winco now sounds really cheap compared to what it is here, so I settled for something less tasty, but much more affordable. 
  

Healthy Cookie Dough Dip
[made with chickpeas!?]
This stuff sounds like a bit of a stretch. It definitely doesn't taste quite like regular chocolate chip cookie dough, but it's still good enough to eat by the spoonful! I made the mistake of telling Chris is was healthy,  so his portion is still waiting in the fridge to be tried. Erik and Amanda downed the bowl I gave them though! As long as I know I'm not the ONLY one who likes it, I'll feel better :] Give it a try if you want! I dipped Indo's version of graham crackers in it [and also ate it by the spoonful]. Told you I liked dessert!

[recipe from Chocolate Covered Katie. great blog name right?!]


Not only does trying these recipes help me to eat healthier, but it also helps satisfy my creatie urge. Ever since I was able to decorate until my heart was content for our wedding, and pinterest coming along, I have had a MUCH bigger urge to be crafty and decorate. It's a little harder here to do those things because there's no such thing as Goodwill, or a quick trip to the craft store. Even if I was able to, I wouldn't have much space or a place at all to put whatever I made. So, as I patiently anticipate living in the states again [for more reasons than crating of course] I will try to be crafty and try new things with my cooking instead!

Let me know if you try any of these things or have any creative/healthy recipes for me to try!

2 comments:

  1. Love this post! I can't to try the cookie dough and veggie fritters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made the veggie fritters 2 times since posting this! You will love them :)
    ps. I love following your blog and hearing how you and andrew are doing! :)

    ReplyDelete