Ephesians 3:20-21 "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be the glory. . ."

Pages

Thursday, September 8, 2011

22 years

Well, I've been around 22 years. . .I sure don't feel any older this week than last. If anything, life is getting harder instead of easier! I have to admit, life hasn't just been a "breeze" here. Of course Bali was WONDERFUL and a perfect mini vacation, but real life picked right up as soon as we got back. 
Sunday (the 4th) was undoubtedly Chris's and my hardest day here. We have both gone through some up and down days, but usually when one of us is down, the other can be the encourager. Sunday happened to be a low for both of us. It would be an easy assumption that it was because my birthday was here and I was so far from home, but I honestly can't say that was it. Home is where WE are. That's hard to spit out sometimes, but it's true. 
We miss our families a LOT. That is hard. We have no shortage of friends here [ what a blessing! ] but our other friends can't be replaced either. Sunday here, was also the first day of college football. We got to be excited with Amanda and Erik which was great, and even found the Ducks game on the internet, but it's still not the same. Family can't be replaced. Along with missing people and tradition, we were also having to wrap our heads around going back to school the next day. Don't get me wrong, school is great, but it brings along many more stressful days/nights and less "us" time [ I'm sure the first year is the hardest. . .i hope! ]. We absolutely feel that this is where God wants us but life isn't always as easy as some of our pictures make it look :] 
I don't mean at all for this to be a depressing post! I just want to be real and authentic in what I write, not trying to sugar-coat things. All of that to say, we really appreciate your prayers. Our God is the same here as He is wherever you're reading this. What a comfort that is!


As hard and sad as Sunday was, Monday [ my birthday! ] was awesome! I felt so blessed by everyone here! Chris started the birthday celebration several days early by bringing me home a Starbucks reusable cup filled with a frappuccino! [ I had been wanting one for a while :] A handsome guy opening my door holding a coffee. . .LOVE. Not only did I LOVE this early gift, but he also managed to sneak away and get it refilled again [ and this time with an iced caramel macchiato. my other favorite :] He spoiled me!

The coffee was gone way to quickly for a picture. It also serves as a great water bottle. Straws are so convenient!


On my actual birthday, Chris got up early to make me breakfast. Food will always be a key to my heart :]  When I got to school, there were fresh flowers on my desk from Amanda and Kaitlyn [ so cheery! ] Throughout the day I got many birthday hugs and greetings, and also a giant chocolate bar on my desk [ real dark German chocolate! ]

My class, along with my team of primary teachers, made me this giant card!



 At the end of the day, my two principals [ Mr. Dave and Ibu Daisy ] came in to pray for me, and brought a card and a wrapped Toblerone Bar [ safe to say I ate enough chocolate that day] haha. School was a great place to be on my birthday :]
After school, Chris and I were invited over to Mr. Dave and Nancy's for a birthday dinner! They took us out to Amigos for Mexican food. When we got back to their apartment, almost every teacher was there to surprise me! Cupcakes, candles, the works! I felt so special :] God knew what I needed after a hard day before, and I felt so loved. [ Not to mention all of you who spoiled me with kind words on facebook. . .both on my Indonesian birthday and my "American" birthday. Gotta give the time-change some love when it's deserved! ;]


2 comments:

  1. Katie,
    Work will get better. I noticed the first few years are so you are still learning, a TON! Remember to enjoy life and not to let teaching take over your world. Enjoy getting to know your husband, and don't take work home with you. Promise?? And of course...Leave ON TIME! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kari! I'm so much better at these things now compared to the beginning of the year! I still have lots to learn, but I'm all about leaving on time and work at school if I can :)

    ReplyDelete