Ephesians 3:20-21 "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be the glory. . ."

Pages

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

playing "catch up" {before China}

. . .because we have been SO busy around here! Unfortunately that's an all too often used excuse, and typically a pretty normal statement for most people. But for reals. It's been busy.

So busy, that I wasn't even able to document our trip to China (on the blog at least)! I woud feel like a cheater if I just moved on past it, and actually, that trip has greatly affected our last month here, so let me start there. Actually, three weeks before China. . .

After coming back from service week, God really placed a burden on Chris' heart for his grade 9 students (who he took to Malang). He got to know them better, saw a lot of growth in them, and also saw the needs they had - particularly the girls. Back at school, he noticed how many of them were purposefully skipping out on lunch. Being a male teacher, he could only talk with them, but not get super personal about it. He just started to realize how much these girls need mentors and positive role models to look up to. So, after some prayer and discussion between Chris, myself, and Dasom (our school's Korean teacher/friend who's around our age), we decided to start up small groups. Dasom and I would try (I say try because it's been a process!) to start a girls' small group, and Chris would start one for the guys. At this point, I just knew some of the girls' names, but not much more. Dasom and Chris were definitely my only connection to them. This was very apparent when it came time for our first small group day. . .  Dasom had been sick, and not sure if she could make it (and the girls knew this), but I said I'd be there. 

We had planned to meet at Starbucks, and I would bring the treats and the book we were going to go through (Captivating, a favorite of mine that I read in high school).

To me, the set-up couldn't have been more perfect. It had small group written allll over it. But that was me, bringing in my high school bible study experience that I absolutely loved. God was preparing me for something entirely different as I happily woke up early on a Saturday morning to try a new muffin recipe to share with the girls. . . the girls that never came. Not one. 


documenting our first small group attempt :(



Dasom ended up coming, but it was just us. Discouragement set in, as much as I tried not to let it. I was already nervous about opening up with girls I didn't know, and who didn't know me. And this just added to it. But God knew what he was doing. The majority of these girls who didn't show up, would also be on the China trip we'd leave for in just six more days. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is already becoming much longer than I anticipated, and it's bed time. So, sorry to cut this short, but it's turning into part 1 of "not sure how many". 
Don't worry, China is good, and things look up! More on that next!

2 comments:

  1. It's amazing how God always works out His plans in HIS way. I always need reminding as I try to work out God's plans in MY way.

    Can't wait to read the rest Katie! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is Heather! Don't we all need that gentle reminder?! :)
      Hope you're doing well! Wish I could just hop on a plane and visit any time I wanted!

      Delete